Why not Lahore?
Are you considering travelling to some part of Pakistan? Consider getting cheap flights from Manchester to Lahore. You may probably be asking yourself, why Lahore?
Here are some interesting facts about the city of Lahore:
- Lahore is the second largest city of Pakistan and is the capital of Punjab Province. The city lies one thousand three hundred and five kilometres (1305km) or eight hundred and eleven (811) miles northeast of Karachi.
- The basic history of Lahore and founding of the city is attributed to Lava or Lōh the son of the deity Rāma. While it is said that little is known about the city before the Muslim period, the area has had many rulers under the Mughal Empire, the Delhi Sultanate, Ghaznarids and Hindu Shahis.
- Today, Lahore is an important city in Pakistan, it is called the centre of education, literature, the film industry and Qawwali music.
- Tourism is Lahore is flourishing. Common tourist attractions found in the city are: the Lahore Fort, Shalimar Gardens, Badshahi and Wazir Khan Mosques, the old Walled City, Gul Begam’s Tomb, Khawaja Mehmud’s Shrine, Haveli of Nan Nihal Singh, Lahore Museum and Dai Anga Mosque.
- In 2008, the GDP of Lahore was forty billion dollars which accounted for thirteen point two percent (13.2%) of the national economy of Pakistan. This is attributed to the economy of Lahore under various industries and sectors. The city recently ventured into the commercial industry after many years of dependence on a manufacturing industry. In the commercial industry there are sectors such as cultural, community, banking, finance and real estate that fuel the economy of Lahore.
- Lahore is the food capital of Pakistan, the city has countless places for visitors to dine – from the traditional Gawal Mandi and Anarkali to the more modern establishments like the MM Alam Road.
- The city has more colleges and universities than any other city in Pakistan, making it known as the ‘very intellectual city’. It is also known as the education capital of Pakistan.
- Lahore is also a culture hub and is characterized by the celebration of many festivals all year round. These festivals and celebrations include; Eid, Basant, the Festival of Lamps (Mela Chiraghan), the National Horse and Cattle Show, Pakistan Army and Pakistan Airforce Parades. As a result of all these festivals and celebrations, the city makes for a lively and diverse culture.
- The city gives family vacationers a children’s paradise for play and fun things to enjoy. From Sinbad, Battlefield to Joy Land and Wonder World; it gives children the enjoyment of any holiday city in the world. For more educational but no less fun excursions; the Lahore Zoo allows for an animal viewing and learning experience for both children and adults.
- You have not been shopping if you have not shopped in Lahore, there is no place where you cannot shop in Lahore with a variety of items suiting every sort of taste. And a stop at the cinema would be the cherry on top.
Experience Lahore like never before, every traveller’s destination.